This drug is mainly prescribed for a shot-term therapy, i.e not exceeding 1-2 months. Erosive esophagitis, stomach ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, duodenal ulcer and heartburn are some of the disorders that can be treated by this medication.
When taken for a long-term cure, it can treat disorders such as erosive esophagitis along with several other conditions that are characterized by increased secretion of the stomach acid. Alternatively, when Prilosec OTC is consumed, it can cure the disorder for frequent heartburn.
How to Take Drug
It is advisable to take Prilosec before the meals. It is better to swallow it than to chew or crush it. If you cannot swallow, you can mix the capsule to a tablespoon of applesauce along with some water and taken immediately. It is advisable not to take coffee, when consuming Prilosec. The usage of the drug should be continued until you are suggested otherwise by the doctor.
- If you are allergic to antibiotics based on macrolide, Prilosec should not be combined with clarithromycin.
- If you are thinking to take a long-term treatment from this drug, it may be possible that you develop a serious inflammation in the stomach walls.
- The effect of consuming Prilosec on pregnant women has not been tested as yet, so it is better to consult a physician before taking any Prilosec medication.
- Tests proved that clarithromycin and Prilosec are expected to be noticed in the breast milk that may have a negative effect on the breastfed infant. So, better consult your physician who may guide you either to stop breastfeeding or medication.
- The symptoms of stomach cancer can be masked to an extent by the healing effect of Prilosec.
It is better to consult your doctor before taking Prilosec with medications such as Disulfiram, Cyclosporine, Warfarin drugs, Ampicillin-containing drugs, Phenytoin and Ketoconazole.
Headache, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and nausea are most common negative effects of Prilosec.
If the medication of this drug is combined with clarithromycin, it is most likely to suffer from side effects like nasal inflammation, tongue discoloration, taste alternation, flu symptoms and sore throat.
Conversely, if you combine the medication with clarithromycin and amoxicillin, taste alternation, headache and diarrhea will be the common side effects that might be noticed.
In case, you notice any intense side effects for the mentioned disorders, the doctor should be contacted without any delay.
Taking two doses at the same time is not a good idea. So, if you have missed any dosage for Prilosec, it is better to skip it and resume with your normal schedule.
Rapid heartbeat, blurred vision, vomiting, sweating, drowsiness, headache, dry mouth, flushing, nausea and confusion are the common symptoms noticed by the overdose of Prilosec. Overdose can be harmful, so a physician should be consulted immediately.
Prilosec should be kept away from moisture and light, in a tightly closed container and then stored at the room temperature.