Albenza is used as a powerful antihelmintic to fight the worm infections caused mainly due to tapeworms and also, by pinworm, roundworm and hookworm. It aims at restricting the multiplication of worms in human body by making it deprive of sugar, the source for its energy. The poke tapeworms and dog tapeworms are two main forms of worms that are responsible for major worm infections in human body. Albenza is an effective remedy for eradicating the diseases like Hydatid disease and Neurocysticercosis from human body.
How to Take Drug
The patient must take the prescribed dose of Albenza. You can take it with water before or after the meal. However, it is advisable to take with meal to avoid stomach upsets. It could be taken twice a day or as prescribed by the physician.
- For treating Hydatid infection, Albenza dose of 400mg has to be consumed twice a day for 28 days.
- For Neurocysticercosis, same 400mg is recommended for 8 to 30 days.
In case of young children, the tablet must be crushed and consumed with meal.
There are few precautions required to follow, in case you are advised by your physician to start with Albenza dose. These precautions are listed below:
- It is desirable to discuss your health issues like past suffering of any kind of liver diseases and other problems.
- One must also bring into notice the allergies to which his or her body is prone to.
- It is also advised to inform your doctor about expected pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Most importantly, you need to get examined for eye lesions, as Albenza may worsen the situation.
- You must also convey any other kind of medications consumed by you.
There are some drugs that might interact with Albenza and increase its level in the body. This may lead to accumulation of this drug in your body, which is not desirable. The drugs that must be informed to the physician by you include:
- Dexamethasone like Hexadrol
Every drug has its own set of limitations and Albenza is also accompanied by a number of side effects. However, these side effects are very mild and don't require any special treatment. The most common side effects associated with Albenza include abdominal pain, nausea, sore throat, fever, vomiting, itching, skin rashes, loss of hair and diarrhea.
After you missed a dose, you must analyze the time left for next dose. If sufficient time is left, you can immediately take the missed dose, otherwise it is advised to skip the medicine once and stick to the schedule in future.
The overdose of every drug is undesirable and Albenza is not at all an exception here. You must consume the prescribed dose of this drug to avoid landing up into awful situations. In case of overdose, you must employ symptomatic therapy like gastric lavage and activated charcoal.
Store the medicine away from heat and moisture, in room temperatures between 59°F and 86°F.